Tuesday, August 13, 2019

The practice piece...

Ok, so Van's has you build a little practice piece before you start on the real thing. Technically, its VERY optional, but I highly recommend building both the tool box and the "mini-aileron?". The cool thing about the projects is that it gets you acquainted with working with sheet metal. I have a tremendous amount of experience working with wood, and a small amount of experience working with sheetmetal some years ago. I can tell you, that both of these projects humbled me.


It looks like a super simple piece to build, right? I suppose it is once you have the core skills, which I quickly figured out needed some work. 
Just getting my head wrapped around "dimpling" and "Countersinking" parts. With sheetmetal, the tolerances are so precise. Your mistakes are immediately apparent I quickly figured out, if you dont have the correct tool, STOP UNTIL YOU HAVE IT!!! I also learned that I hate "swivel head" flush sets for AN426 rivets. If the "swivel head flush set" isn't completely flat, it will "walk" all over your piece, and leave horrible marks... Mine went directly in the trash after the second rivet I attempted to set turned out like trash....


While this shot looks pretty decent, what you cant see are the imperfections. The spar/rib flange joint has a small gap between them due to an improper technique while riveting. I have learned that keeping material clamped together while riveting is a fine art. Luckily, some of the more experienced builders on VAF have shared their techniques.


Bask in all the glory that which is this practice piece. Tomorrow starts the real build....!

No comments:

Post a Comment