Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Vertical Stab 2

Once the new forward vertical stab spar arrived, I commenced operations. I rebuilt the spar, and then assembled the vertical. At this point you can see how the ribs are riveted to the spar.


Here you can see the forward and rear spars.

I built this little cradle setup to facilitate the riveting portion of the skin. As previously stated, I cannot tell you how important it is to think through now you are going to work the piece, and also how you are going to support the piece while building. If the piece is moving around, it makes it tough to be precise with the rivet gun, and that means damage to your piece!
Essentially, you rivet the skin to the forward spar, then you cleco it all together, insert the rear spar, and rivet that in place. The engineering looks very solid, and well thought out. I was absolutely amazed how precise the parts were manufactured. The holes seem to line up, and everything fits together well.

You can see the AN426 flush head rivets here. 


Its pretty difficult to set the rivets and not damage the skin. Here is some of my tricks....
To make sure the skin doesn't get booger'd up, I just wrap some vinyl tape around the head of my flush set. Its just enough to prevent damage. I initially bought the fancy larger head flush set, with the rubber around it. I had terrible results with it, and because of it's size, ANY deviation from flush with the rivet gun is transferred into the piece that you are working.

The vinyl tape is just enough to assist keeping the gun in place, and prevent scuffing the skin.


Here is a shot of the roll of vinyl tape I ordered from Amazon. I'm guessing it got hot at some point? I have never seen a roll of tape like that.... 

Next trick I learned. If you look at the center of the pic, that is the forward vertical stab spar. It's reflecting the holes of the ribs, but you can see the rivets coming through for the vert stab skin. Note how the alclad coating is still intact on the skin, and not scratched to heck. 
I cut up a padded envelope and it provided just enough protection for the spar. Basically lay this under your bucking bar when it's sitting on an adjacent part. It's marvelous at preventing scratches. Also, when you drop the bucking bar, it prevents dents!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment