Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Rudder 5... Finished! (Time: 45 hours)

So this will sound like I'm beating on Van's a little bit, but hear me out. As I said earlier in a previous post, Van's engineering is incredible, however, I believe the trailing edge construction technique needs to be changed. After the airplane is completed, I may go back and build a new rudder, using structural adhesive on the trailing edge. I am that pissed off with how this turned out. I have looked at other RV14's, and other RV10's, and they look pretty similar to how mine turned out. I'm not a perfectionist, but the trailing edge of the rudder could be done in a different manner, that yields better results. It is nearly impossible to arrive with a trailing edge that is straight. If you drive the rivets with a gun, all it takes is one extra tap to bow that trailing edge wedge. If you use a squeezer, it seems to be impossible to get the angle correct, so you end up with small dents/imperfections in the skin. I fully realize these can be painted over, but it's just not a great technique. As stated before. I will probably rebuild this part after the plane is complete, and I will finish the trailing edge with structural adhesive. (rant over)

Ok, so here it is... Originally, I thought I would attempt to rivet against the back-rivet plate, but that turned out to be impossible. So the only method that worked was turning the rudder vertical.

 This manner didn't work because the cleco's got in the way...

Turned in this position, it was fairly to be precise with the bar and gun, but holy mother of god, trying to get it to some out straight is impossible. 

This is what it looked like after all of the rivets were done. (yeah, I was not pleased...) If there is anyone out there that has mastered this trailing edge technique, I'd love to hear from you!
 This photo is after quite a bit of "massaging" with a straight edge, and light taps with the bucking bar and gun. Like I said, I will probably rebuild it, when I have the time, and it won't slow down the project...
 BEHOLD!!!! The rudder in all of it's finished glory....


Horizontal stab coming next...

No comments:

Post a Comment